How to Obtain a Washington State Marriage License When Out of State

Marriage Open

Washington State marriage licenses are only valid for 60 days.  Therefore, you do not want to begin this process until you are within that 60-day period.  For example, if your wedding date is August 30th, don’t mail your application until June 30th.  That puts the arrival and processing of the application within the 60-day valid period.  If you send it more than 60 days before your wedding date it will expire and you will have to re-apply.

Here are the steps:

  1. Click on this link to be taken to the King County Marriage Licensing Dept:
  2. When you land on the page, click on Applying for a Marriage License
  3. Next, click on Apply by Mail
  4. Click on Download a Marriage License Application (PDF)
  5. Download the application and print it off
  6. Take the application to a licensed notary (banks usually have at least one notary).  Please note: both of you must be present to get the application completed and your signatures notarized.  Be sure to bring valid photo ID, i.e. passport, driver’s license.
  7. Mail the completed license application in an overnight envelope with a cashier’s check in the amount of $64 made out to King County to:

King County Marriage Licensing
King County Administration Building
500 Fourth Ave., Suite 311
Seattle, WA 98104

Please call the courthouse (206-296-4021206-296-4021) approximately 5 days after you have mailed your application to ensure they have received it.  Next, shoot me an e-mail and let me know it’s ready to be picked up and I’ll swing by and get it and bring it to your ceremony.

0 replies

Leave a Reply

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

* Copy This Password *

* Type Or Paste Password Here *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.